Friday, September 14, 2012

Week 9/10: Chapter 7 Question 1


An inductive argument I used this past week is deciding on what to get at Philz Coffee. I went there for my first time on Monday morning and was deciding what to get. I ended up choosing the Mint Mojito. I looked up Philz Coffee online a while back and most people on Yelp and Facebook always recommend that drink. My sister, who I went with, has also heard from her friend that that is the drink most people order. Therefore, the Mint Mojito is possibly a drink that I would really enjoy. This is an inductive argument in that the two premises were generalizations about what is the most salable drink according to Philz Coffee customers. My conclusion is that I would probably enjoy that drink as well because a lot of people get it. I ended up using the word “possibly” in the conclusion since in inductive reasoning, the “conclusion probably follows from the premises,” as Boss mentions in the book. I never knew that in ordering coffee or something else, we can actually be using inductive reasoning. Oh and that drink really was great! :)

1 comment:

  1. Today coffee is appreciate by some people. The flavor is great as it also boost people to stay awake. I found that you use inductive reasoning from Yelp and Facebook that is great. While, using reason to follow great opinion, well use of sources. I find that we are sometimes critical thinkers; this helps us understand how we make choices. I like your comparison which helps draw a mental picture. The Philz Coffee as an inductive argument is a great illustration.

    ReplyDelete