Saturday, September 1, 2012

Week 8/27: Chapter 6 Question 2


I don’t know why but being “cool” seemed like such a big deal in middle school and high school. During my middle school years, fitting in meant you were one of the rebels, those students who talked back to teachers and ditched class. Once during history class, our teacher decided not to dismiss us in time. A friend of mine wanted so badly to get out of there that she was encouraging me to ditch the class with her. I was never that person who did those things. I was always obedient, never broke the rules. I used my critical-thinking skills by asking myself questions:  (1) do I want to get caught (2) do I want to disrespect my teacher’s authority and (3) do I want to do something that does not represent who I am. When my friend asked me to ditch, I simply said “Sorry, I can’t.” Now, you might be thinking that this was a thing you just brushed off. But instances like this where even your so-called friends would pressure you to do things you do not want do, it’s important to stand your ground as it may lead to serious consequences like the feeling of guilt and regret. In the end, professing my own beliefs only made me more comfortable and decisive.

1 comment:

  1. Okay, I totally agree with you. What the heck was with those kids who decided it would gain "cool points" and be a good idea to treat teachers disrespectfully? Really?

    But, I think the way you handled this situation was classy and graceful. You used critical thinking skills and did not just act on impulse which saved you in this conversation. Even though you were taking a risk that your friend might be upset with you, you did the right thing. Not only did you not have to reap negative consequences, but you proved to your friend that she/he could not walk all over you. You became the leader and became a positive example and influence for a friend that wanted to follow the crowd. You should be proud of this.

    ReplyDelete