Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Week 10/15: Ch. 4 Question 3


The concept I found most interesting is the section on social errors and biases. This section explains different ways we perceive different groups of people. The section on the “one of us” or “one of them” error discusses how we tend to respect people who are similar to us as opposed to those different from us in terms of “race, sex, religion, political party, age, or nationality” (118). Sometimes, we just do that unconsciously. The section on societal expectations refers to how we expect certain groups of people to act and we conform to how they act. An example given in the book is the Salem witch trials where people of that time really believed in witchcraft just because most believed so.  The section on group pressure and conformity discusses how being in groups can influence our individual decisions. For example, if the whole group of friends you’re with wants to watch a chick flick while you want mystery, you’ll just settle for chick flick as well because that’s what everyone else chooses. Diffusion of responsibility refers to how we don’t take responsibility when it’s not our problem. In the book, Boss gives an example when an injured man on a busy street in Connecticut was ignored by bystanders after he was struck by a vehicle. He later died from his injuries.

2 comments:

  1. Think was one of the most interesting topics in the book. I agree with you and I think that this affects us on a daily basis. We conform with social errors and biases without even realizing which, I believe, can be dangerous. This goes right along with peer pressure. We will do anything to feel comfortable and like we belong, so we tend to jeopardize our moral or ideas just because others tell us too. Diffusion of responsibility is very sad to me. How can people just ignore situations such as the man who was hit by the car? Don't you think that it is our human responsibility to help others, even if we don't know them or don't want to help? You would think that the bystanders would feel guilty and more responsible for the man's death if they didn't help the man, rather than ignoring him and feeling okay with themselves.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree that this was a very interesting topic throughout the chapter as well. I know for a fact that I subconsciously do judge people based on social standing in regard to age, race, sex, etc but I do try my best to not. And I also agree with you that people conform with who they are with. This has always been an interesting topic to me because it makes me wonder who I am sometimes. Sometimes I wonder if I am truly being me, or do I act differently pending on who I'm with? I do believe that based on who they are with, they will act differently and conform to the majorities decisions.

    ReplyDelete